Verisign published its Domain Name Industry Brief today, if you don’t feel like reading all of it below are 7 key takeaways from the briefing. This report is off the heels of the news that .COM just topped 130,000,000 registrations for the first time ever (source).
- Growth of .com and .net domain names redirecting to social media sites is owned by Instagram, which has seen over 71% increase over Q2 2016. The next highest went to YouTube with 28% increase.
- Geographical New TLDs registrations have eeked out almost 1% market share of total geographical domain registrations from ccTLD domains.
- ‘Coin’ was the top trending keyword in .COM and .NET in Q2 2017. Crypto ranked 2nd in .COM and 4th in .NET, respectively.
- The average sale price for the top 10 .com domain names reported by DNJournal as sold in the aftermarket in Q2 2017 was $917,000.
- Total ccTLD registrations were 144.2 million in Q2, which is +1.1M or a 0.8 percent increase compared to the first quarter of 2017. ccTLDs increased by approximately 3.7M registrations, or 2.6 percent, year over year (not including .TK which would skew results greatly).
- The top 10 ccTLDs are .CN, .TK, .DE, .UK, .RU, .NL, .BR, .EU, .AU and .FR. As of June 30, 2017, there were 302 extensions in the root, with the top 10 ccTLDs composing 64.8 percent of all ccTLD registrations.
- New .com and .net domain name registrations totaled 9.2 million during the second quarter of 2017.
Leave a Comment